Thursday, August 27, 2009

Figs & Toasted Almonds Brie

So, I was walking through the grocery store on Monday and I realized I often buy the same old thing when I decided I would begin a new resolution - at least one new food or recipe a week. As a way to keep me somewhat accountable I figured I would post the outcome and invite others into the variety...

This week it happened to come through the delightful fresh figs I saw on display at Whole Foods and I must say they were even more delightful to eat...



INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 fresh figs, stemmed and quartered
1 (14 ounce) round 4 1/4-inch diameter round Brie cheese
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 C).

2. Heat brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Add figs and vanilla, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds. Place brie wheel in a baking dish, and pour fig mixture over the top.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until softened but not melted. Serve with water crackers.

COMMENTS
I doubled the mixture for an even more dessert-like recipe. It turned out really well but I found that 12 minutes in the oven was a bit long as the brie became too runny. This dish would work well as an appetizer or dessert.

No comments: