Friday, December 4, 2009

The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick



5 stars
Awarded the Caldecott Medal, this book is a unique and masterfully designed children's novel. What makes it stand out on its own is the creative way the 500+ page tale is supported and told through words as well as beautifully crafted pencil illustrations (see below for a glimpse - note half of the book is illustrated making it as much of a visual experience as an audio experience). I spent the last couple months having my 2nd grader read the book to me and found it to be a great adventure to take together. I highly recommend this story.

Two quotes I particularly liked:
As I look out at all of you gathered here, I want to say that I don't see a room of Parisians in top hats and diamonds and silk dresses. I don't see bankers and housewives and store clerks. No I address you all tonight as you truly are: wizards, mermaids, travelers, adventurers, and magicians. You are the true dreamers. (pg 506)

Time can play all sorts of tricks on you. In the blink of an eye, babies appear in carriages, coffins disappear into the ground, wars are won and lost, and children transform, like butterflies, into adults. (pg 509)



No comments: