Friday, July 3, 2009

Christ The Lord: The Road To Cana, Anne Rice



5 stars
Anne Rice has written a bold and ambitious book. She writes the novel with Jesus speaking in the first person. I must say she did is beautifully. I ended the book with a sense of how appealing Jesus really is. She brings to the surface the humanity of Christ while not neglecting his divinity. I think this would be a great book for anyone who has heard the stories of the Gospel and has come to find them dull and dry. Rice's portrayal of Jesus in the flesh caused me to look back at the sacred text with new eyes and with a deeper appreciation of the larger story of Jesus' life and ministry. I loved the way she created a back story for the Gospel story—even if it didn’t happen the way she envisioned it, it was still a powerful reminder that something must have taken up many of Jesus’ hours that are lost to history.

This book is a sequel to Christ the Lord: Out Of Egypt but can be read alone.

2 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

I am intrigued to hear your appraisal of it. I've been meaning to read the first one but haven't gotten around to it. But to see you give it five stars moves them up on my list of books that I need to read.

Doug P. Baker said...

By the way, my friend Bob Vajko will be in Wheaton next week for a conference. If you bump into him (he manages to bump into almost everyone wherever he goes) you can tell him you were expecting to meet him.